Friday, April 25, 2014

Not just names anymore


March 17

            I am becoming more familiar with the workers of these different organizations. They have now gone from just names on a list of faceless people to caring and devoted human beings who have a desire to help as many people as they can during their stay. I know my assignment from Dr. Manning was to organize and decipher and assure the documentation for each one of the workers is in order but I cannot help but be just a little curious at what some of those videos and audio files are all about. I’m sure he won’t mind if I just listen in; it is part of my learning experience after all.

            Now I am beginning to feel like I know just a little more about what motivated some of these helpers while others still do not know why they are there aside from a strong desire to lend a helping hand to a community that was in need. The need was greater than any one person in New Orleans and just by listening to some of the audio interviews one can begin to feel that the helpers really did not know what to expect when they arrived in New Orleans. What these workers received was a sobering dose of a devastating reality that the news cameras did not show us and what the reporters just skimmed over. Humanity, completely devastated, a way of life that was in danger of disappearing; now how would the workers cope?   

No comments:

Post a Comment