Sunday, April 27, 2014

A few more recordings


April 4

            My inquisitive nature has led me to a different place during my assignment. I listened to a few more audio recordings and read through some more transcripts of the interviews. I find myself slightly upset. These volunteers first went to New Orleans not really knowing why they were drawn to this place. When they did make the decision to quit their steady jobs in lieu of helping the people of New Orleans they did not expect to encounter what can be described as aggressive behavior from the law enforcement officials that were assigned to the location.  Some of the volunteers were taken aback by this behavior and treatment.

            I am trying to see both sides of this issue but so far I find myself asking more questions than coming up with a solid reason as to why the officers were so aggressive. This was just a minor issue the volunteers encountered. There was violence and shootings and death still occurring all around them. I’m thinking Catholic Charities and the other organizations left that out of the volunteer pamphlet they received before joining the cause. I do commend the volunteers though; they did not pack up their bags and run for the hills. They stayed and continued to work for the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment