Saturday, March 8, 2014

NOLA: Reviewing and Learning


February 23, 2014

I finally finished reviewing the nineteen different organizations that Dr. Manning is attempting to get in order. Some of these organizations are Bayou Rebirth, Black Men United, Gulf Restoration Network, Habitat for Humanity, Hands On, One Brick, Project Homecoming and Safe Streets: Strong Communities just to name a few. My job began here; I needed to go through each organization and check to see if all the paperwork was attached to all the interviews. When I say paperwork I mean in particular the Deed of Gift which grants Dr. Manning as well as Loyola University Chicago permission to use the information obtained from the interviewee.  

This is very time consuming but it is not all just paper checking. I am expected to organize all this information in some form of coherent and easy to follow guide which is also easily accessed. As I previously stated I have reviewed the different organizations but have not yet gone into depth into checking for the required documents. However, I have listened to a few interviews which is probably why I originally got sidetracked on the whole document thing. I have listened to just a handful of the interviews and regardless of what I stated in my last blog about having experience listening and dealing with trauma this is different. These people feel abandoned and left to figure things out for themselves. I would have to say that my experience with the tragedies and disappointments of the people I have helped are very different than what the people of New Orleans had to deal with. It is definitely an apples and oranges comparison; lesson learned on my part; never assume that you have seen or heard it all because someone’s story in New Orleans after Katrina has definitely trumped anything I have experienced thus far.        

No comments:

Post a Comment