Saturday, March 8, 2014

NOLA:Concerns


Hello again,                                                                                                                   Feb. 20, 2014

I know it has been a long time since I posted a blog but that was due to some very hectic schedules for Dr. Manning and me. Once I met with Dr. Manning he laid out his expectations for the NOLA project I will be working on. The project consists of interviews with Hurricane Katrina survivors as well as people helping those survivors. Dr. Manning advised me that some of the interviews I would be transcribing would be graphic and he expressed his concerns about my possible reaction to what I heard or read.

I spoke frankly with Dr. Manning and relayed to him that I was sturdier than I looked. I have worked in law enforcement in one capacity or another for over twenty years and felt that I was fairly well equipped for my assignment. I would have to say that I am pretty well versed when it comes to tragedy, despair, malicious acts and the deprivation of humanity. This is a depressing statement yet it echoes what so many people experienced in New Orleans in the days leading to the landfall of Katrina as well as its immediate aftermath. It is fair to say that even eight years after the catastrophic event the people of New Orleans are still attempting to recover emotionally as well as financially. In all fairness not everything happens in the French Quarter and it appears the people in the rural areas surrounding New Orleans’ famed French Quarter are still suffering the effects of local as well as federal agencies that have done little to help in their recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment